Wednesday 20 July 2011

Over the Rainbow - Emma's ta dah!

You remember the rainbow yarn that I posted about recently...
Well it is now a very special finished project that I thought I'd share with you.
Emma has finished at pre-school this week, and is all set to start "big school" next term. She is very excited about it, but also sad about the idea that she will not go to pre-school again. She has grown up so much there in the last year, and changed from a quiet, shy little fairy into a confident, sociable little girl. We decided to do a project together to mark the end of this time. As her pre-school is called "Rainbow" it didn't take a
n awful lot of time to come up with an idea!

We spun some rainbow yarn together (ok... I did most of the spinning, but she helped with picking out colours, and did a bit of plying with me!) and then warped the loom with some lovely natural yarn from a farm down the road in Cholsey. Emma really enjoyed learning about weaving - I thoroughly recommend it for her age group because they can really get involved! She liked pulling the shuttle through and beating, and it has been the basis of many silly made up songs over the past couple of weeks. :-)

Once we'd woven a rainbow, we backed it in neon green linen (Emma's choice - it was her project after all!) and edged it with blue felt. I cut out some letters for Emma to decorate (again she chose the colours... hence all the pink and purple!) and I sewed them on for her.

So here it is - Emma's first blogging "ta-dah"! She was so pleased with it, and took great pleasure in giving it to the pre-school yesterday.
Working on and finishing this project together has been a lovely way for Emma to understand that this time is coming to an end and that soon things will change. And I really enjoyed working on crafts that are close to my heart with my little girl. She'll be out-spinning me before I know it I'm sure.




1 comment: